Inspired by Defined Dish’s Cajun Oven-Roasted Okra Fries, I decided to take a spin on one of my favourite snacks from childhood – crispy fried okra with tangy spice mix.
Oven baking the okra is way easier than deep frying. They get just as crispy and tastes almost exactly the way my mom makes them. Except I’m not standing in front of the stove frying for half an hour straight. The oven does all the work.
Oven Fried Okra (Bhindi)
- 4 handfuls Fresh okra (about 400g or 14 oz)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp tangy masala (recipe link below)
- Preheat oven to 375*F
- Wash and cut the tops of the okra.
- In a large bowl toss the okra with the 2 tbsp oil, 1 tsp salt & 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Spread the okra out in a baking pan lined with a baking rack. Be careful not to overcrowd the pan. The okra should be in a single layer.
- Bake for 30 mins or till they get crisp and golden brown.
- When they come out of the oven, sprinkle with the tangy masala and serve warm.
Tangy Masala Spice Blend
- 1 tsp dried pomegranate powder
- 2 tsp amchoor (dried mango) powder (for a tangier blend feel free to add more!)
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or half-half garlic powder to salt)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional – see recipe link below – use this for more of a 'masala' flavour)
- Mix all of the ingredients together and store in an air tight container. Will keep for upto 6 months.