Incase you haven’t heard. Potatoes are like my favourite food group. Yup. They are in their own category cause I love them that much!
These Sindhi-style potatoes are no exception. Sindhi food is known for its simplicity. Since my parents are both from Sindh in Pakistan, this is what I have learnt and grew up eating. Most recipes my mom has taught me have a small list of ingredients. But they all come together to make something magical.
The secret to aloo tuk or Sindhi potatoes, is the seasoning mix. Similar to my tangy spice mix, the seasoning has amchoor (dried mango) powder mixed with a few other spices that play really well with the pan fried potatoes.
The traditional way to make Sindhi potatoes is to double cook them. Boil first, then pan fry. But to save time, my mom would do it all in one pan.
You cook the potatoes on low heat (use smaller potatoes, and cut them in half or thirds for faster cooking) in a large pan with the lid on till they are softened. Then with the lid off let them get golden brown and sprinkle with the seasoning. They won’t be as crisp as the double cook method, but I don’t mind that. The flavour is all there, and it’s much faster and creates way less dishes in the end!
Technically these are a side dish. Mom would serve these with daal & rice. But I’ll eat these as the main event any day!
Sindhi Potatoes (Seasoned Pan Fried Potatoes)
- 2 large potatoes, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 2-3 tbsp oil (for frying) (I use avocado oil)
- 1 1/2 tsp amchoor (dried mango) powder
- 1/2 tsp corriander
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- Pre-heat a large non-stick pan with the oil on high heat.
- Place the potato slices in a single layer on the pan, turn down the heat to medium and cover.
- Allow to cook for 1-2 mins till they turn golden brown on the bottom, turn down the heat to medium low, and then flip them over.
- Cover again and let cook on medium-low till the potatoes are fork tender.
- Meanwhile, mix the seasoning mix ingredients together. Once the potatoes are almost done, sprinkle the seasoning over the potatoes in the pan.
- Serve immediately.