This is what I love to do – trying out different mix of spices to create new and unique flavour combinations. It is a great way to add so much flavour without any calories.
Whenever possible I like to make my own seasoning blends so that it is fresher and I have more control over what goes in the blend. As well, I can be sure that there are no artificial or filler ingredients, like MSG, in them.
Here are two spice blends I love. First is my Garam Masala, and second, is a new creation – tangy masala spice mix.
Have you tried any of these before? Do you blend your own spices at home?
Garam masala-la-la spice blend
Garam masala is a staple in Pakistani and Indian cuisine. It is very simple to make your own as long as you have all the basic spices in your cupboard. There are many different variations on garam masala. So feel free to make this your own. But this is the blend of spices that I enjoy the most:
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Mix all ingredients in a jar. Keeps well at room temp in an airtight jar for about 6 months.
Getting tangy with it spice blend
Great on anything deep fried since the light tanginess helps cut through the heaviness of the fat and oil. I loved this on roasted or fried potatoes, brussel sprouts or fried eggplant. Try sprinkling some on your next salad. The possibilities are endless with this.
You may want to keep a small container of this on hand when you go out to eat…you won’t want to eat fries without it!
Tangy Masala Spice Blend
- 1 tsp dried pomegranate powder
- 2 tsp amchoor (dried mango) powder (for a tangier blend feel free to add more!)
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or half-half garlic powder to salt)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional – see recipe link below – use this for more of a 'masala' flavour)
- Mix all of the ingredients together and store in an air tight container. Will keep for upto 6 months.