I got real creative with that title, eh? I just couldn’t decide which ingredient was the star of this perfectly fall soup so I went with them all. At least you know exactly what you are getting with this soup! 😉
The Perfect Fall Soup
If October is spooky season then November has to be soup season!
If you could put the fall season into a bowl and eat it. It would be this soup. Roasted squash and apples lend a slightly sweet flavour to this soup. Add a kick of ginger and the simple spice mix and it becomes a very heart warming soup. Perfect for these chilly fall days we are having. And most it is hands off cooking, so you can go about your day and enjoy a nice bowl of soup afterward.
Apple recipe that is not Pie
I came up with this soup after a particularly enthusiastic apple picking session a few weeks ago. I wanted to make some thing with the abundance of apples we had just acquired that was not apple pie (don’t get me wrong, there was also apple pie made, and it was delicious!). So save this one for the next time you also find yourself with an overabundance of apples (and/or squash)!
I honestly did not expect this to be that great. But it is one of my favourite soups I have made this season! So I had to give it a place on the blog. I have a feeling we will be coming back to it again soon!
And don’t forget to roast some garlic while you roast the squash and apples for this soup! Use the roasted garlic as a spread on toast or on crackers for a flavourful side to this soup. Or squish some into pasta or on rice for a flavour kick. Love me some roasted garlic anytime!
Curried Apple Ginger Squash Soup (Veg, Paleo, Whole30)
- 3-4 medium apples (I used cortland apples)
- 1 medium acorn squash (butternut squash will work too)
- 6 tbsp oil, divided
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- splash of cream (optional)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Roast the Squash & Apples
- Pre-heat oven to 400F (204C) .
- Wash & cut squash in half and scoop out insides. Peel and roughly chop the apples into quarters.
- Place apples and squash on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 3 tbsp oil, and a pinch of salt & pepper. Place the squash cut side down and bake the whole thing for 30-40 minutes until they are easily pierced with a fork.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, scrape out the squash flesh and set aside with the roasted apples.
Prepare the Soup
- In a large saucepan heat the remaining 3 tbsp of oil and add the diced onions.
- Cook for 8 minutes until softened, add the ginger slices, roasted squash and apples, and spice mix. Cook for 1-2 minutes till fragrant.
- Add the broth, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup till smooth.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken slightly. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a splash of cream, if using, and serve immediately (preferably with some garlic bread). Enjoy!