Mutter / Matter – it really doesn’t matter what you call it – it is delicious!
Rice and peas also known as muttar pulao – is a very simple but delicious rice dish that works as both a side, or as the main event. I personally love it on its own with a big dollop of yogurt!
Anytime you go to a desi persons house, if they are not serving biryani, you will probably get mattar pulao as your rice dish. It is so popular and for good reason. The rice is flavoured with onions and spices and then the sweetness of the peas helps bring it all together in this easy one pot meal.
Have you tried muttar pulao before?
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice – I prefer sella basmati rice
- 2-3 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds (plus 1 tsp extra for garnish)
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 whole clove (laung)
- 2 whole black peppercorn
- 6-7 curry leaves
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups water or stock
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Rinse the rice until the water turns clear then soak the rice in water for at least 30 mins. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan with a lid, on medium high heat 2-3 tbsp oil, add 1 tbsp cumin seeds, cinnamon stick, clove, black peppercorns and curry leaves. Cook for 2-3 mins until sizzling and fragrant.
- Add onions and salt and cook for 10 mins until onions start to soften and turn golden on the edges.
- Add the 1 cup frozen peas, and 2 cups water or stock. Bring to a boil. Now is the time to check for salt and adjust to taste.
- Add the soaked and drained rice and allow to come to a boil again.
- Once the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, turn the heat down to a simmer. Sprinkle the rice with 1 tsp cumin seeds and black pepper and then place the lid on the pot. Allow the rice to steam for at least 8-10 mins undisturbed. (Do not lift the lid to check on it! Trust the process! The steam needs to stay in the pot so the rice can get nice and fluffy!)
- Uncover and fluff the rice. Serve warm with some curry or yogurt!