Just another excuse to eat potatoes. Not that you need another one. 😉
These are vegan taters are great just by themselves, or go ahead and add them to a wrap to make a great veg option for a filling.
I made a big batch and then just have them on hand to air fry as a snack or have with breakfast. Do what you want with them. They are all that a potato should be, flavourful, crispy on the outside, creamy soft on the inside. And totally vegan and gluten free! 🙂
The recipe is pretty simple. Boil and mash your potatoes with a few simple ingredients (and feel free to switch up the flavours to use whatever you have on hand). Shape, allow to cool for about 30 minutes before frying till golden brown! That is it!
Just don’t forget to allow the taters to cool in the fridge or freezer after you shape them so they will hold up well when you fry them. Cooling potatoes before eating them also helps to break down the starch a bit so it is easier to digest! So I could argue that these are a healthier tater!;)
Vegan Tater Tots
- 5-6 medium sized potatoes I like yukon gold or russet
- 2 tbsp corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- salt & pepper, to taste
- oil for frying
Boil Potatoes & Make Tater Mixture
- Wash and roughly chop the potatoes into quarters.
- In a large pot, fill with water and add the potatoes making sure they are covered in water. Bring to a boil and simmer on medium until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- Drain and peel if desired (I just leave the peel on). Add the remaining ingredients (except oil) and mash well. Taste for salt and spice level and adjust to taste.
Shape & Chill the Taters
- Wet your hands and take about 2 tbsp of the mixture in your hand and shape into a cylinder shape- like a tater. Set aside on a baking sheet and repeat for remaining mixture making sure they are in a single layer and not touching.
- Freeze for about 30 minutes.
Cook the Taters
- For Air Fryer: Generously spray the taters with oil making sure to spray both sides. Air fry at 425F for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown on the outside and heated through.
- For Pan Frying (my recommended method): Heat a large pan with a few tablespoons of oil (enough to coat the bottom of the pan). Add the taters in a single layer.
- Allow to cook in medium heat for 2-3 minutes on one side without disturbing them. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Remove to a paper towel lined plate and continue to cook any remaining taters.
- Serve warm with a dollop sour cream or other sauce of choice. Enjoy!
- Leftovers store well in the fridge in an airtight container for upto a week, and reheat really well in the air fryer.