Like cheese whiz, but dairy free and made with real food ingredients.
This sauce has so many uses. Pour it over your fav pasta or pasta substitute for a delish mac n’cheeze. Or pour it over roasted cauliflower for a ‘cauli n’cheez’. Pour it over loaded nachos. Or as a dip with veggies.
This dairy free cheese sauce gets its creamy consistency from cashews that are soaked in water for at least 2 hours. To speed things up start with boiling hot water and let the cashews soak for at least 30 mins. Toss the soaking water and then mix the cashews with the other ingredients.
The cheesy taste in this dairy free cheese sauce comes from nutritional yeast or ‘nooch’ as some people like to call it. It is becoming pretty common to find nutritional yeast around where I live. I can find it in the health food section of my local grocer or at my local bulk food store. The flavour reminds me of an aged cheddar, which does quite well in this sauce.
Just blend the cashews and nooch with a few other ingredients and spices and pour onto whatever you like.
Dairy Free Cheez Sauce
- 1.5 cup cashews
- 3 tbsp lemon juice (half a lemon)
- 1 cup water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 clove garlic (1/2 tsp minced garlic)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl cover the cashews with water and let it soak at room temperature for at least 2 hours (overnight is best).*
- When ready to use, toss the soaking water and throw the cashews in a blender with the other ingredients.
- Blend till smooth and creamy.
- Pour over anything you like to have a cheesy flavour.