A simple and delicious side, perfect for the summertime!
Tender crisp asparagus spears coated in a garlic parmesan mixture that is to die for!
The Perfect Topping for any Grilled Veggies
Feel free to use this mixture to top any grilled veg! It is amazing on crisp roasted potatoes too! Actually when I made this originally I used it on crispy roasted potatoes for breakfast. I loved it so much I used the same topping on my asparagus for dinner that night! File this one away for later, you will definitely keep coming back to it!
How to Buy and Prep Asparagus
When buying fresh asparagus at the grocery store, I recommend you pick up the bunch and look underneath. The asparagus is normally sitting in a water bath to keep it fresh. But the best way to know is to look at the bottom of the stems where it has been cut, if the bottoms look green and fresh then they are super fresh! If the bottoms are starting to lose a bit of colour, look white or even turning brown, the asparagus is likely a bit older and you can probably do better.
Once you have your perfect bunch, to trim the asparagus, the best way to know where to trim the asparagus is to grab one from both ends and gently try to snap it in half. Wherever it naturally breaks, is the fresh part you want to keep. The bottom bit that snaps off can be discarded (or used for soup stock!).
Give the trimmed spears a quick rinse and you are ready to cook!
Grill or Pan Fried Asparagus
Asparagus is equally delicious grilled or pan fried. Either way, just wash and trim your asparagus and toss in some oil, and salt and pepper. Then to pan fry you can toss in a pan and cook on medium heat till heated through. Be careful not to over cook them as they will get soggy. I prefer my asparagus to be more crisp than soggy.
When grilling the asparagus, same idea. It will cook up fairly quickly, so keep an eye on it and turn them often. As soon as they start to get that char, you can take them off the grill.
Dress with this garlicky parm topping while it is still warm and serve!
Garlic Parm Asparagus
- 1 bunch asparagus spears
- oil for cooking
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, finely chopped (chives, parsley, dill or basil works well)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- flakey salt
- chilli flakes (optional)
- Wash and trim the asparagus spears. Best way to know where to trim them is to grab one from both ends and gently try to snap it in half. Wherever it breaks is the fresh part you want to keep. The bottom bit that snaps off can be discarded (or used for soup stock!).
- Heat a large frying pan with a splash of oil on medium heat. Add the asparagus to the pan and toss to coat in oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper as they cook. Stir often until they start to turn bright green and are heated through. Be careful not to overcook them as they will get soggy. Should take about 5 minutes. (If you want to grill the asparagus– toss in oil and a pinch of salt and pepper till well coated. Then grill , turning often till starting to brown all over).
- While the asparagus cooks, in a small bowl mix together the remaining ingredients – 1/4 cup parmesan, 1 tsp garlic and 1 tsp fresh herbs (I like to use chives here). Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. And chilli flakes for kick if you like. Set aside.
- When the asparagus is done, take it off the heat, throw in the garlic parm topping and give it a toss to coat. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Begharay Bengain – Eggplant Curry (Veg, Keto)
- Lemony Springy Pasta Salad (Veg, Gluten Free)
- Paneer Makhani (Butter Paneer) – Veg, Keto
One thought on “10-Minute Garlic Parm Asparagus (Veg, GF)”