Another great use for all those sourdough discards everyone seems to have these days.
Apparently though, most of you guys over on my IG like waffles over pancakes. Which I was a bit surprised to see! I don’t know if I prefer one over the other, but I definitely have my cravings for one or the other depending on the day. After I made my sourdough waffles, I had a mad craving for pancakes. So I thought I would give sourdough pancakes a try.
These lemon ricotta pancakes were light and fluffy with just a hint of the sourdough flavour. Just pile them up and slather them with berries, syrup and whipped cream. YUM!
This version doesn’t need the overnight rise time like the waffles, so they come together as quickly as regular pancakes would. Give them a go and see if you like this version over a traditional pancake batter.
Sourdough Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sourdough starter discards (unfed)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp butter or oil (for cooking)
- In a small bowl, sift the 1/2 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together: 3/4 cup ricotta, 2 eggs, 3/4 cup sourdough discards, 1/2 cup milk, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp lemon zest, and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Mix till smooth and combined.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients till just combined. Don't over mix it. A few lumps is ok. If you feel the batter seems too thick, add a bit more milk till you reach your desired consistency.
- Heat a large frying pan or griddle on medium heat. Once heated, add a tbsp of butter or oil to the pan.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter into the pan for each pancake. Cook till bubbles start to form on the top of the pancake. Then carefully flip over and cook till the other side is brown. Total of about 2-3 mins per pancake.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of maple syrup, fresh berries and whipped cream.
- Murgh Badami (Almond Chicken Curry – GF, Keto, Paleo)
- Quick Palak Paneer (Veg, GF, DF, Keto, Paleo)
- Warm Kale Salad with Pearl Couscous (Vegan)