Another delicious sourdough discard recipe. Honestly, between this and my sourdough pizza, I am ready to commit to a long term relationship with my quarantine sourdough.
Garlic naan is brilliant just when it is made the regular way (with yeast). But with sourdough, the slight hint of sourdough takes the flavour to the next level. It doesn’t take much, just mix the ingredients and let it proof for a few hours, then roll and cook. The naan cooks up really quickly on a stove top. Just make a big batch and you can be re-heating and eating for days!
It goes really well with my BBQ chicken hariyali, or paneer tikka (recipe coming soon).
Sourdough Garlic Naan
For Sourdough Naan
- 1 cup sourdough starter discard (unfed)
- 1/2 cup warm water (or milk for extra richness)
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
For Garlic Butter
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp italian seasoning (or fresh cilantro, finely chopped)
- 1 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together all your naan ingredients till combined. The mixture will feel a bit shaggy and sticky. I find it best to use my hands to mix the ingredients.
- Cover with a cloth and let it rise in a warm place (counter top or in the oven with the light on) for 2-3 hours. It should almost double in size.
- Lightly flour your counter and dump out the dough. (Oil your hands so the dough doesn't stick to your hands so much). Knead for a few minutes till smooth.
- Separate the dough into 8-10 small balls and let it sit while you preheat your pan and make the garlic butter.
- Pre-heat a large frying pan or skillet on medium-high heat. Brush with a bit of melted butter or oil.
- Prepare garlic butter by mixing the 1/4 cup melted butter with 1 tsp minced garlic and 1 tsp dried italian seasoning, or 1 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped.
- Roll each ball of dough out into a naan, it should be about 1/4" thick.
- Gently place on the dry heated pan. Allow to cook on one side for 1-2 mins till it starts to bubble up. The bottom will develop brown spots.
- Flip and cook for 1 more minute till brown spots form on the other side.
- Transfer to a plate and brush with the prepared garlic butter and immediately sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Repeat to cook the rest of your dough.
- Serve warm, enjoy!
- Ramadan Healthy Recipe Round-up 2021
- Giant No-Flip Gulab Jamun Pancake
- Bhea Kebab (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)