Sometimes the best way to eat your veggies is to wrap them up in a crispy deep fried wrapper of deliciousness. Enter crispy veggie spring rolls.
These spring rolls are super simple and full of flavour. Also spring rolls are a great make ahead and freeze food. I make a big batch of these and keep them in the freezer for months. Then when I feel like spring rolls, I just cook them from frozen. It takes about 5-10 minutes and I have fresh crispy spring rolls.
Crispy Veggie Spring Rolls
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1 green pepper
- 1 jalapeños
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup thin rice noodles
- 20 spring roll sheets
Make the Filling & Roll
- Prep the veggies – shred the cabbage, chop the carrots into thin matchsticks or thickly grate it, cut the green pepper and jalapeños into thin strips.
- Soak the rice noodles in hot water. Set aside to soften while you cook the vegetables.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add the oil, cabbage, carrots, green peppers and jalapeños. Allow to cook down, stirring occasionally, for about 5-8 minutes. The cabbage and carrots will soften and shrink down slightly.
- Add salt, pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Set aside the cooked veggie filling to cool while you set up your spring roll making station.
- Set out the spring roll sheets with a damp towel over top so they don't dry out. Keep a small bowl of water nearby. Drain the soaked rice noodles and keep them close. You may need to cut them with some scissors to make them easier to handle.
- Peel off one spring roll sheet. Scoop 1-2 tbsp of the cabbage filling into the centre of the spring roll sheet. Add about 1-2 tbsp of noodles.
- Tuck the two corners of the square into the centre of the spring roll, turn 1/4 turn so the open end faces you, and start rolling cigar style, making sure the tucked in ends stay folded in. When you get to the end of the spring roll, wet the corner with a bit of water to seal the spring roll.
- Fry to freeze till ready to cook.
To Cook the Spring Rolls
- Heat a large wok or frying pan with enough oil fill the bottom of the pan.
- Carefully add the spring rolls and cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes till golden brown on one side. Flip and cook 2 more minutes till golden brown on the other side.