This is a two parter. First I made the sourdough waffles. And immediately, wanted to make fried chicken to go with the waffles. Because if you are not eating chicken and waffles the what are you doing with life?
Its the perfect breakfast for dinner meal. Which I am a big fan of. It is also a great egg free breakfast option. The fried chicken recipe will be up tomorrow. But first these waffles…
However you choose to eat it, these waffles are yummy. Sourdough waffles are more on the light and chewy end of the waffle spectrum. So if you prefer a dense and crisp belgian style waffle, these might not be for you. I actually quite enjoyed these with a few blueberries, whipped cream and a sprinkle of maple syrup.
The hint of sourdough is very subtle, and hits you more in the after bite. But it is yummy, and keeps you wanting more.
Like most sourdough recipes this one needs a bit of planning, you need to create an overnight sponge, which is basically the base of the waffle batter. It allows the starter to further develop that sour flavour along with some buttermilk for maximal sourdoughyness.
So prep the overnight sponge the night before you want to have waffles, and then cook waffles as you normally would. It’s worth the slightly more effort.
And if you would rather pancakes, then cook the batter like you would pancakes – It works either way!
For Overnight Sponge
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup yogurt & 1 cup water mixed together)
- 1 cup sourdough starter (unfed)
For Waffle Batter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp canola oil (or melted butter)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, stir 1 cup sourdough discard, 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 cups buttermilk till well mixed.
- Cover and let rest at room temp for about 12 hours (overnight).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the 2 large eggs, 4 tbsp oil (or melted butter) and pour into the overnight sponge.
- Add the 3/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Heat up and grease your waffle iron, and pour batter into the waffle iron and bake according to you waffle iron instructions.
- Serve immediately. Or keep warm till ready to eat.