This is inspired by my favourite brunch dish. Well I have a few faves. But if chicken and waffles is on the menu, I am very likely to order it.
I love a good crispy fried chicken with a sweet waffle. Add a honey mustard dressing and that is just perfection on a plate.
This recipe actually happened because I made these sourdough waffles and had so many leftover waffles, they were just crying out to be eaten with some fried chicken.
The chicken is a totally paleo, whole30 compliant version of chicken tenders you find at your favourite fast food places. Small strips of boneless chicken covered in a crispy coating.
If you have time to brine your chicken, I highly recommend it, but if not that is fine too. Brining helps to keep the boneless chicken moist and prevents overcooking. You essentially allow the chicken to absorb the salty water (it should be salty like sea water) till you are ready to cook. Anything between thirty minutes to a couple of hours will do the trick. Drain the chicken, then continue with the recipe. Try this the next time you are making any sort of dry boneless chicken, like grilling, baking or frying. I am sure you will notice a difference in the texture of your chicken when cooked. Especially if you find your chicken is often too dry or overcooked.
And of course you don’t need to eat these chicken strips with sourdough waffles, regular waffles will work too. Or just eat them as is with the honey mustard dipping sauce. They are addictive!
Paleo Fried Chicken Strips
- 2 lbs boneless chicken breasts (cut into thick strips about 2" thick)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup cassava flour (Tapicoa flour works too)
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- oil (for frying)
Honey Mustard Dip
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- pinch salt
Brine the Chicken
- In a large bowl mix the chicken, water and salt. Making sure the chicken is covered in the salty water. Cover and place in the fridge. Allow the chicken to marinate in the brine for at least 30 minutes, up to 4 hours.
Coat & Fry the Chicken Strips
- Set up your dredging station with two large shallow bowls and a large plate or baking sheet in a line.
- In the first large shallow bowl, whisk the eggs with about 1 tsp water till frothy.
- In the second large shallow bowl, mix the remaining ingredients (from cassava flour to salt).
- Drain the chicken from the brine and place into a separate bowl next to the whisked eggs.
- Using one hand, dip the chicken in the egg, coat it well, then using the other hand, dip the chicken in the flour mixture and toss around to coat well.
- Transfer to the large plate. Keep going with the remaining chicken till all the chicken strips are coated.
- Heat a large pan or wok over medium high heat. Add about 1/2 cup of oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken one piece at a time in the hot oil.
- Cook for about 3 minutes on the first side. Then flip and cook about 2 minutes more. The coating should be golden brown and the chicken will feel firm.
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and continue frying all the chicken.
Make Honey Mustard Dip
- Mix all the dip ingredients together till well mixed. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve the chicken strips warm, with the honey mustard dressing.
For Overnight Sponge
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 1 cup yogurt & 1 cup water mixed together)
- 1 cup sourdough starter (unfed)
For Waffle Batter
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tbsp canola oil (or melted butter)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- In a large mixing bowl, stir 1 cup sourdough discard, 2 cups flour, 2 tbsp sugar, and 2 cups buttermilk till well mixed.
- Cover and let rest at room temp for about 12 hours (overnight).
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the 2 large eggs, 4 tbsp oil (or melted butter) and pour into the overnight sponge.
- Add the 3/4 tsp salt, and 1 tsp baking soda.
- Heat up and grease your waffle iron, and pour batter into the waffle iron and bake according to you waffle iron instructions.
- Serve immediately. Or keep warm till ready to eat.
Here’s some more meal-spiration for you:
- Ramadan Healthy Recipe Round-up 2021
- Giant No-Flip Gulab Jamun Pancake
- Bhea Kebab (Vegan, Paleo, Whole30)