A spinoff from the King Arthur sandwich biscuit recipe. These make for an awesome tea time snack, or a fabulous breakfast sandwich that rivals anything you can find in a restaurant or bakery. Try them with warm with a drizzle of honey! Mmmmm!
The best part is that it uses up the sourdough starter discards you wold normally throw away when feeding your sourdough starter. So you don’t have to feel guilty about throwing away perfectly good starter!
I just make a batch of these on the weekend, and then we throw together sandwiches every morning and its like brunch every day! Just pile on a fried egg, spicy mayo, avocado, arugula or baby spinach, bacon, everything seasoning – I dare you to find something better at any breakfast place near you!
Buttery Sourdough Biscuits
- 1 cup All purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup sourdough starter discard (unfed)
- Pre-heat oven to 425F. Line a baking sheet with parchment, or grease it well.
- Combine the 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking powder, and 3/4 tsp salt.
- Cut the 1/2 cup cold butter into small cubes, and gently start to pinch the butter into the flour mixture with your finger tips, till it resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add the starter into your flour and butter mixture and give it a gentle mix with a spatula or your hands. It might take a bit of effort to mix it, in but it will get there.
- Once the dough has been combined, and is starting to form into a ball, flour your counter and pat the dough out into a large rectangle, about 12" x 6". It should be about half an inch thick.
- Using a butter knife, cut the dough into 8 squares (about 3" x 3" each).
- Place the biscuits onto the baking sheet, making sure they are about an inch apart, they will spread a bit as they bake.
- Bake for 20 – 23 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, you can server warm, or cool and freeze to eat later. They will keep well in the fridge for about three days.
- Mini Shortbread Cookies with Sea Salt
- Easy Mango Sticky Rice (Vegan)
- Quinoa & Garlic Scape Kebabs / Veggie Burgers