Wait hear me out! It tastes better than you think! You get all the yummy biryani flavour without any of the carbs! And this can be made totally Paleo, Keto or even Vegan friendly!
To be fair, nothing will ever be as good as the real deal carb filled goodness that is biryani (especially if it is made my by my mom!). Carbs are just yummier. But this is a much quicker and healthier alternative that is actually pretty tasty too. Trust!
Cauliflower Rice “Biryani”
- 1 cup oil (any high heat cooking oil – I use avocado oil)
- 6 large onions (or about 1.5 cups ready made fried onions )
- 1 large head of cauliflower (or 6 cups riced cauliflower)
- 3 carrots – diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger – minced
- 4 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 cup yogurt (use coconut yogurt or coconut milk to keep it dairy free)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder (see my recipe link below)
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- Start by opening all your windows and turning on all exhaust fans and lighting some candles. Things are gonna get real aromatic real fast!😉
- Preheat oil in a large deep saucepan or wok. Slice the onions thinly (I use a food processor to speed up the process) and add to the oil. Cook onions till they turn golden brown, stirring occasionally. Once browned, remove onions onto a paper towel lined baking sheet and spread out in a thin layer to allow them to cool and crisp up.
- Meanwhile, rice the cauliflower: Rough chop the cauli into large chunks. Drop into a food processor or blender and pulse till it looks… well, like rice.
- In a large bowl mix the yogurt, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, salt, garam masala and fried onions.
- In the same pan that you fried the onions, discard all but 2 tbsp of oil. Heat the pan over medium heat and add the carrots. After a few mins, when carrots are starting to soften, add the yogurt mixture, cauli-rice, and peas. Stir well to combine and add the raisins, if using.
- Cook till heated through (about 5 mins). Enjoy!