I know there are lots that claim to be the best. But seriously, this is the BEST!
There are two flavour secrets to this stew that make it the best. I make it at least a few times in the winter I love it that much. Comfort food at its best. I like to make it in my trusty slow cooker. It takes about 10 mins of prep and then 6-8 hours of hands off cooking time.
I take it the extra mile at the end by adding some gluten free garlic herb dumplings on top. They cook up as soft cloud like dumplings and soak up all that slow cooked flavour.
Best Ever Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 1 turnip
- 1 sweet potato (for Keto Friendly use an extra turnip or parsnip instead)
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 large onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 jalapeño
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried rosemary or thyme
- 1/2 cup arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour)
- 2 lbs chuck beef – cut into 1 inch cube
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 cups stock or bone broth (chicken or beef)
- 1/4 cup pomegranate molasses (for sugar free version – use 1/2 cup unsweetened apple or grape juice)
- Chives for garnish
- Wash, peel and dice all the veggies (sweet potato, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, ginger, jalapeño.
- Place all the ingredients in the slow cooker. Add the spices: bay leaf, cumin, salt, pepper, chilli powder, rosemary.
- In a separate bowl, sprinkle the arrowroot flour over the beef pieces. Mix well to coat.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil and add the coated beef. Stir fry to brown the outside. Don’t worry about cooking it through, that’s the slow cooker’s job, just get a nice golden colour on the outside. (This is flavour secret number 1).
- Add browned beef to the slow cooker. Deglaze the frying pan with a cup of stock to scrape up all those flavourful brown bits. Add to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the stock to the slow cooker. Add the pomegranate molasses or apple juice* (flavour secret number 2 – add some natural sweetness to the stew to really bring out the caramelized slow cooked flavour).
- Cover and cook on low (250*C) for 8 hours (or high for 4-5 hours), checking occasionally to give it a stir and make sure the liquid level remains above the other ingredients. If you need to top up the liquid add stock or just plain water.
- Once done, you can add dumplings on top before serving (see recipe link below). Sprinkle with some chopped chives before serving.