This is a great vegetarian bbq option. The paneer, a firm cows milk cheese, holds up really well in the high heat of a BBQ. It develops a crisp outer layer, but the inside remains soft and creamy. Delish!
Also this marinade is a great basic tikka marinade. It will work for any protein – chicken or shrimp would also be delicious with the same marinade. But the creaminess of paneer works really well with this tangy and flavourful marinade. Feel free to adjust the spice level to your liking. The level of spice in the recipe below is between mild to medium. I use my garam masala to flavour the marinade, but a store bought garam masala will work just as well.
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp kasori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
For the Grill
- 400g Paneer (1 package, about 1 2/3 cups)
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large onion
- wooden skewers for grilling
Prep the Grill Ingredients
- In a large deep dish, soak wooden skewers for at least 2-3 hours before you plan on grilling.
- Dice the paneer into large cubes, about 1-2 inch square.
- Dice the veggies into large cubes as well.
Prepare the Marinade
- Mix all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl till well combined.
- Add the paneer and veggies. Mix till they are well coated.
- Let the paneer and veggies marinate for a couple of hours, min 30 mins.
Make and Grill the Skewers
- When you are ready to grill, heat your BBQ.
- While the BBQ pre-heats, prepare your skewers. Drain the wooden skewers, and thread the paneer and veggies onto the soaked skewers, alternating the paneer and veggies.
- Grill a few minutes a side, till they start to develop a light char on all sides.
- Serve immediately.