This one is less recipe and more amalgamation of three of my fav recipes on this blog. It all comes together to make a version of my favourite Pakistani street food: garlic mayo rolls.
Take one part chicken hariyali
Mix with one part garlic mayo (recipe below)
Sprinkle with my tangy masala
Roll it all up in a fresh cooked paratha (I like these ones if I’m indulging) warm pita, lettuce wrap or other edible rolling vessel. And eat.
Totally inspired by the garlic mayo rolls I gorged on when I visited the Pakistani markets in Karachi (Khada Market is what comes to mind for those that know what I am talking about).
For those that know, give it a try and let me know how it compares to the real deal? I want to know!
Garlic Mayo Rolls
- 1 portion Chicken Hariyali Recipe (See link below, or just use your fav grilled chicken recipe – you need about 2 lbs of chicken)
- 4 tbsp garlic mayo (recipe linked below)
- 2 tsp tangy masala (recipe linked below)
- 4 Paratha (pita, tortilla, or if whole30/ paleo go for a lettuce wrap)
- 4 leaves lettuce (or a handful of baby spinach leaves)
- Marinate and grill your chicken according to the recipe.
- Heat up your paratha or pita, if using
- Spread with garlic mayo, top with lettuce or spinach leaves. Add chicken, and a sprinkle of tangy seasoning.
- Roll and eat!
Easy Garlic Mayo
- 1/2 cup Mayonaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Mix all the ingredients together and serve. Will keep well in the fridge for as long as your mayo is good for.
Chicken Hariyali (Green Chicken)
- 1 cup baby spinach (or two big handfuls)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1-2 inch fresh ginger , crushed
- 6-7 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1-2 jalapeños (or green chillies)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala (see my recipe link below)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp yogurt / coconut cream (Greek, coconut or use coconut cream – the thick creamy part on top of a can of coconut milk)
- 4 chicken breasts cut into large 2 inch cubes (about 3 lbs)
- Bamboo skewers*
- In a blender or food processor, blend the spinach, cilantro, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and jalapeños till smooth.
- In a large bowl mix the blended green stuff with the rest of the ingredients (spices, yogurt/coconut cream, and chicken)
- Let this mixture sit for at least 30 mins to overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to bbq, heat up your grill or grill pan, skewer the chicken and grill!
Tangy Masala Spice Blend
- 1 tsp dried pomegranate powder
- 2 tsp amchoor (dried mango) powder (for a tangier blend feel free to add more!)
- 1 tsp garlic salt (or half-half garlic powder to salt)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala (optional – see recipe link below – use this for more of a 'masala' flavour)
- Mix all of the ingredients together and store in an air tight container. Will keep for upto 6 months.