These are a lifesaver on days when I come home from work starving. Its just enough of a sweet crunchy hit that I can survive until dinner is ready without biting J’s head off.
They are also my new fav way to break my fast during Ramadan. This and the Rose Water Refresher are my new Ramadan staples!
I’m all about saving hangry lives over here.
Easy Date & Nut Energy Balls
Simple and delicious balls of energy full of good fats and protien that are great to have on hand when you need to prevent the hangriness from setting in.
- 10-12 mejdool dates, deseeded* (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup large flake oats (instant oats works too)
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (for rolling)
- 2 scoops protein powder (optional – I like using collagen powder)
- In a blender or food processor, blend together all of the ingredients, except the shredded coconut. You may need to add a tablespoon or so of water to help things get along.
- Once the mixture is blended (no need to completely blend the nuts, it tastes better when they have a bit of crunch), wet your hands and carefully scoop out the mixture and roll into ping pong sized balls.
- Roll the balls in the shredded coconut and refrigerate till ready to eat.
*If you find your dates are looking a bit dry, soak them in some hot water for about 15-30 minutes to get them to soften up before starting. Drain, and then go ahead with the rest of the recipe. The finished balls should keep well for about 2 weeks in the fridge.
3 thoughts on “Easy Date & Nut Energy Balls”
Can you make these without the coconut oil? Or at least a replacement for it?
Another neutral cooking oil will work. Grapeseed or sunflower oil. Or melted butter if you are not vegan. 😁