Beef and Veggie Taco Bowls
- 1 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp taco seasoning (see my recipe below)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 large bag broccoli slaw about 3 cups
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 large plantain (just starting to turn yellow is best
- 2 tbsp ghee (you can use coconut oil but ghee tastes better!)
- Mayo* (turn it into Chipotle Mayo - see instructions below)
- green onion and/or cilantro for garnish
For the beef & veggie mixture:
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add the beef and seasonings (taco seasoning, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, chilli powder).
- Stir to break up the lumps and slow beef to brown.
- When beef is almost cooked, add the broccoli slaw and water and cover to cook for an additional 3 mins to soften the veggies. Uncover and stir to cook till the veggies are done (about 3-5 more mins).
For the plantains:
- Peel and slice the plantains (I like about 1cm thick slices). This was a ripe plantain. It was a bit on the sweeter side since it had turned yellow. A green one will be less sweet. Either will work for this.
- In a large non-stick frying pan heat the ghee and add the plantain slices. Cook till they start to turn golden and then flip to brown the other side. Once done remove from heat and sprinkle with salt. (You can turn them into tostones by squashing them down with the bottom of a cup and frying them one more time to crisp up.)
Assemble the bowls:
- Scoop out a big helping of the beef and veggies. Top with plantain chips, a dollop of mayo and the scallions/cilantro.
This is a great make ahead meal. The beef mixture will keep in the fridge for 4 days. Just reheat, add toppings and eat! *For Chipotle Mayo: mix 1/2 cup of mayo with juice of 1/2 a lime, 1/2 tsp each of chilli powder and garlic powder, 1/4 tsp each of smoked paprika, salt and pepper. For my taco seasoning recipe click here.