Simple, oooey, gooey and delicious!
This brownie recipe is my own version of these 6 ingredient espresso brownies by pinch of yum.
There is something magical about mixing coffee with chocolate. So why not bake them together in these brownies?!
I modified the recipe to reduce the sugar a bit, and added my own tweaks to really up the flavour. Instead of espresso powder, I used instant coffee, because that is what I had on hand (I use decaf to make this safe for littles to eat too!) It works really well to enhance the chocolate flavour in these brownies. I also modified the flavour by adding a splash of vanilla essence and flakey sea salt to really up the flavour. I find adding salt to sweet dishes helps make things feel a bit sweeter, so I can get away with using less actual sugar.
As always this dessert is easy on the sugar, but feel free to add up to 1 cup more of sugar if you want it sweeter.
The batter will turn out quite thick, which will result in a brownie that is just the perfect amount soft and chewy.
I made this as a birthday treat for my sister. J loved it so much that I made it again for his birthday a week later! It was that good! If you are a chocolate lover, this is the brownie for you!
Easy Chewy Espresso Brownies
- 1 cup butter room temp.
- 1 cup granulated sugar (add up to 1 cup more sugar for a sweeter brownie)
- 1/3 cup instant coffee powder
- 4 large eggs room temp.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- pinch flakey salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F (177C). Line a square (9×9) baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until soft and fluffy. I like using my stand mixer with a paddle attachment for this.
- Add 1/3 cup coffee powder and mix to combine.
- Add 4 eggs, and mix to combine once more.
- Add 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup cocoa powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp vanilla and mix to combine. If you are using a stand mixer, go slow. I recommend starting to mix with a spatula by hand so the flour doesn't go flying when you turn on the mixer. Don't over mix.
- The dough with be quite thick. Pour the brownie batter into the lined baking tin. Spread evenly and sprinkle with chocolate chips, if using, and flakey sea salt.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until set in the centre. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to cut and serve. Enjoy!
One thought on “Easy Chewy Espresso Brownies”