Lets go to Hawaii. And by ‘go’, I mean eat something Hawaiian. And by ‘eat something’ I mean, here is a recipe for something hawaiian-ish that you can make to seem like you are actually in Hawaii eating it.
Totally the same as being there right?
Hawaiian Chicken Skewers
- 1.5 lbs Chicken breast or thigh
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 onion
- 2 cup pineapple chunks (about 1 pineapple)
- 2 cup cherry or grape tomato
- skewers for barbecuing
- 6 cloves garlic (about 3 tsps crushed)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp salt
- If you are using wooden skewers soak them in water while you marinate the chicken (at least 1 hour) so that the skewers wont burn when on the BBQ.
- Chop the chicken into large 2″ cubes and place in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl, mix the marinade: crushed garlic, coconut aminos, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, red pepper flakes, ground ginger, & salt
- Pour half the marinade over the chicken. Cover and let this rest in the fridge for at least 1 hour (upto overnight).
- Prep the other ingredients for the skewers. Chop the pineapple, bell peppers, onion to about 1 inch pieces. You can leave the tomatoes whole or cut them in half. The idea is that all the pieces are about the same size so they cook in the same time.
- Preheat the BBQ or oven to about 350*F.
- Skewer the meat and other ingredients alternating with veggies and pineapple to make it colourful.
- Place the skewer on a hot grill and baste with reserved marinade on both sides as it cooks. If you want to cook this in the oven, place the skewers in a large parchment lined baking tray. Bake at 350*F for 15 mins. Turn and pour the reserved marinade over the skewers. Bake another 5-10 mins till chicken is done.
- When chicken is done it will be firm and have an internal temperature of 153*F (62*C).