Im playing catchup with my recipes on the blog for the next few weeks. So you will see a few recipes that I posted over on instagram during the summer but never got around to posting on the blog.
Starting with this one:
When I was a child, much to my mother’s delight, I decided that all green food was gross. That meant if anything had even the tiniest hint of green colour I would not eat it. Fast forward to this year when I made and ate 3 different versions of this green chicken along with all green sides just because I wanted to.
Five-year old me would not be impressed.
I tried 3 versions: the standard recipe using greek yogurt as the marinade base, a dairy free version using coconut yogurt, and a Whole30 compliant version with coconut cream. Overall the differences were subtle. With the coconut cream version having a distinctly more ‘coconutty’ flavour. But not in a bad way.
But all three worked great and were delicious.
Chicken Hariyali (Green Chicken)
- 1 cup baby spinach (or two big handfuls)
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 1-2 inch fresh ginger , crushed
- 6-7 cloves garlic , crushed
- 1-2 jalapeños (or green chillies)
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala (see my recipe link below)
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp yogurt / coconut cream (Greek, coconut or use coconut cream – the thick creamy part on top of a can of coconut milk)
- 4 chicken breasts cut into large 2 inch cubes (about 3 lbs)
- Bamboo skewers*
- In a blender or food processor, blend the spinach, cilantro, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and jalapeños till smooth.
- In a large bowl mix the blended green stuff with the rest of the ingredients (spices, yogurt/coconut cream, and chicken)
- Let this mixture sit for at least 30 mins to overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to bbq, heat up your grill or grill pan, skewer the chicken and grill!