A simple but oh so yummy layered no-bake dessert that is probably one of my top 3 desserts of all time. I have no idea why it took me this long to get it up on the blog!
Traditional Tiramisu Ingredients
You only need a handful of ingredients to make Tiramisu:
- Mascarpone Cheese – a soft creamy cheese, not as tangy as cream cheese, but again, in a pinch some room temperature whipped cream cheese would do.
- Eggs – check the expiry date, that is how you will know how long your tiramisu will keep in the fridge 🙂
- Lady Finger Biscuits
- Coffee – I like to use decaf
- Cocoa Powder (for garnish)
Substitute for Raw Eggs in Tiramisu
This is the traditional recipe for Tiramisu, so it uses raw egg. If you are not a fan of just can’t eat raw egg, you can substitute 1.5 cup of whipping cream, whipped up with the sugar and then folded into the mascarpone cheese instead of the egg whites and yolks, but it will change the flavour profile a bit.
I promise you though, if you do try the original version with raw eggs in it, you will not notice the taste at all! Give it a go and tell me what you think! 🙂
A simple layered no bake dessert. Light and creamy with a hint of coffee and cocoa flavour.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pkg mascarpone cheese (500g)
- 2 pkg lady finger biscuits (approx 24 biscuits)
- 1 cup black coffee, cooled I prefer to use decaf for this
- cocoa powder for garnish
- In a large bowl or a stand mixer whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until light and foamy. Add the mascarpone cheese and mix well. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl or in a stand mixer, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Slowly fold the egg whites into the mascarpone cheese mixture. Being very gentle with your fold so you don't deflate the egg whites. Set aside.
- Being layering your tiramisu. Have your serving dish ready, I recommend a glass dish so you can see the layers or use small bowls or glasses to make individual servings. Dip a lady finger biscuit in the cooled coffee for a quick second or two so it soaks in the coffee, then place it on your serving dish. Repeat with as many lady finger biscuits as you need to form a layer on the bottom of your dish. You may need to break a few in half to be able to cover the bottom of the pan. The biscuits are very fragile when soaked, so be gentle with them.
- Spread the mascarpone egg mixture over the biscuits gently.
- Repeat with another coffee soaked lady finger biscuit layer topped with the mascarpone egg mixture layer. You should end on the mascarpone egg mixture layer.
- Use a small sieve to gently sprinkle on a thin layer of cocoa powder over the top of the whole dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. Best served chilled!Enjoy!:)
* If you prefer not to use raw eggs in this recipe you can substitute for whipping cream, but it will change the flavour profile of the final product.
- Begharay Bengain – Eggplant Curry (Veg, Keto)
- Lemony Springy Pasta Salad (Veg, Gluten Free)
- Paneer Makhani (Butter Paneer) – Veg, Keto