This basic blueberry sauce or compote is very easy to make with a few simple ingredients. The secret is to add some lemon juice and lemon rind to the sauce. The hint of citrus helps to bring out the flavour of the berries.
I like my blueberry compote to be a bit tangy, but if you like it sweeter feel free to add a touch more maple syrup or sugar. Make this your own. And then pour it on everything!
I love pouring this simple blueberry sauce over pancakes or waffles. Or even on ice cream!
Basic Blueberry Sauce
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (frozen will work too)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sugar (skip if making this sugar free)
- In a small sauce pan add all the ingredients and let it come to a boil.
- Turn the heat to medium low and let it simmer for about 5 minutes till the blueberries start popping.
- Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool. Serve on all your sweet treats.
- Any leftover sauce can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- The Perfect Crispy Pakoras (Veg, GF, DF)
- Roohafza Bubble Tea (Caffeine Free)
- Sea Salt Caramel Macadamia Nut Cookies