We finally got around to watching all two seasons of Ted Lasso recently and the one thing I immediately knew I needed to do after watching just a few episodes, was make Ted Lasso’s Biscuits with the Boss so I could see what all the fuss was about!
A quick google search for ‘Ted Lasso Biscuits with the Boss Recipe’ and there are a few versions of this floating around. They all involve a very basic shortbread dough that is baked in a square or rectangular baking pan and then sliced so that you get these thick shortbread bars that are just divine!
My version of this copycat Ted Lasso’s Biscuits with the Boss recipe can be made with just three ingredients – salted butter, icing sugar and all purpose flour. But if you want to be extra fancy I highly recommend adding some flavour enhancers. I like adding a touch of vanilla essence and sprinkling flakey sea salt on the dough for additional eye-roll-to-the-back-of-your-head yum factor! Another option is to add fresh rosemary to the dough for a fragrant rosemary shortbread. Feel free to make this your own.
The best part of this recipe is that you don’t need any fancy rolling pin or cookie cutters. Just a square pan and a butter knife will work to create these bars.
Another secret to making the perfect shortbread is to use room temperature ingredients to make the dough. And then refrigerating the dough before baking. Allowing the butter to harden after being mixed into the dough really helps get the perfect melt in your mouth texture for your shortbread.
I have already made these four times over since creating this recipe a week ago! I even made a double batch to take to work for my coworkers and it was a big hit!
J and I especially enjoyed having these with some garbage water – also known as tea (you will have to watch Ted Lasso to get that reference 😉
And if you have not yet seen Ted Lasso, I highly recommend it! It is just an overall feel good, make you laugh, but still touches on some very important topics kind of show! Bake yourself up some Biscuits with the Boss, pour yourself some a piping hot cup of liquid cardboard, and watch an episode and tell me what you think! 🙂
Copycat Ted Lasso’s Biscuits with the Boss Shortbread
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature (if using unsalted butter, add 1/4 tsp salt to the dough when mixing)
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- flakey sea salt for topping (optional)
- Make sure your butter is at room temperature. In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, mix 1 cup butter a few minutes on high speed until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add 3/4 cup icing sugar and continue to beat on low speed until pale and fluffy. Stop the mixer halfway and scrape down the sides and add the 1/2 tsp vanilla essence, if using.
- Stop the mixer and sift in 2 cups of flour. Mix on low speed until combined.
- Line a square (9×9) baking pan with parchment paper. Transfer the dough into the baking pan and use your fingers to gently spread the dough into the pan in an even layer. It should be about 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick. Sprinkle with flakey salt, if using.
- Refrigerate the prepared dough in the pan for at least 30 minutes while you preheat the oven to 300F (148C).
- Use a butter knife to gently cut squares or rectangles in the dough.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes until the edges start to turn light golden brown and the middle is firm.
- Let cool completely in the pan and slice again to create the shortbread bars or squares. Enjoy!