ICYMI last week I came up with this bomb paleo, whole30 compliant BBQ sauce as part of a masterchef style challenge I did with a few of my instagram blogger friends.
I made the sauce primarily with ribs in mind. But I also wanted to make sure the sauce can be used in more than one way, cause what was I going to do with this massive jar of pickles I just bought for this challenge?
Happy to report, chicken wings and this BBQ sauce are most definitely friends. If you like a spicy-sweet heat on your wings this one is for you!
The secret to making crispy chicken wings in the oven is to cook them on a wire rack just above the baking sheet. That way you don’t have to turn them over halfway into the cooking. They are also pretty hard to mess up. Just coat them in some olive oil and seasoning – keep it simple with just salt and pepper or try using my everything seasoning. And bake till they are golden brown and crisp.
When they come out of the oven, coat the wings in the BBQ sauce and eat!
Now what else do you think I can use this BBQ sauce for?
Paleo Ginger Blueberry BBQ Wings
For the Wings:
- 4 lbs chicken wings, skin on (cut into drumettes and wingettes)
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning (recipe linked below – or just use salt & pepper)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the Ginger Blueberry BBQ Sauce (makes about 1 cup of sauce):
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 inch fresh ginger minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pickle brine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 date -seed removed optional – for extra sweetness
Prepare the Wings:
- Preheat oven to 425*F (218*C).
- Line a baking sheet with a baking rack for the wings to sit on. (This will help them crisp up and you won’t have to flip them halfway).
- In a large bowl mix the wings, seasoning and olive oil till well coated.
- Place the wings on the wire rack over a baking sheet, making sure they don’t touch (you may need two baking sheets). Bake in the oven for 40-45 mins. If they don’t feel crisp enough after that, you can broil for a few mins to crisp up.
Make the Sauce:
- While the wings are cooking, mix all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, and then cook on medium low till the blueberries start to burst (about 5-7 mins).
- Use an immersion blender (or some other blender) to blend the sauce till smooth (be careful it is hot!). Set aside.
Finish the Wings:
- When the wings come out of the oven, carefully transfer to a deep bowl and mix in the BBQ sauce. Toss to coat well.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of everything seasoning and lots of napkins on the side, ’cause these are finger licking good!