I love dosa. But it’s not something I grew up eating. So dosa has always been a special treat for me. Dosas are basically a savoury pancake with a slightly tangy flavour. And since I prefer my breakfasts savoury over sweet, this breakfast dosa is perfect!
While my home made version isn’t as dramatic as the restaurant dosa (I’ve seen Dosa’s larger than my arm span!), it has all the flavour and has the added benefit of using oat flour for added fibre. It is also faster. You don’t need to wait for the batter to ferment. Keep the ingredients on hand, and you can whip this up as fast as it takes to make pancakes!
Try adding more protein by cracking an egg on an almost cooked dosa in the pan. Flip it over carefully to let the egg cook and stick to the dosa. It’s like an egg-dosa meal deal!
I always make extra of these easy breakfast dosa and keep them in the fridge to eat as a snack later on.
Easy Breakfast Dosa
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup semolina (rava or sooji)
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- water, as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2-3 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- oil, for frying
- Heat a large frying pan with 1-2 tablespoons of oil.
- Blend the oats in a blender till it forms a thin flour. Mix with the semolina and rice flour.
- Add yogurt and enough water to form a thin crepe batter. The longer the batter sits it will thicken up, so you may need to add water to thin it out as you go.
- Add the remaining ingredients – onion, ginger, green chillies, shredded coconut, curry leaves, cilantro, cumin, black pepper, and salt.
- Pour 1 cup of batter into the heated pan, swirl around to make sure the batter spreads evenly. Allow to cook on medium for 1-2 mins till the top is starting to set.
- Flip and cook for 1 more min till golden brown on the other side.