Did you give last weeks channa masala a try?
This channa masala recipe is by far my favourite of all the channa masalas (did you know there were more than one?!). I absolutely love the tangy sweetness of tamarind in this. I could eat this by the bowl full.
Best served with a sprinkle of chopped raw onions, tomatoes and a dollop of yogurt. This is a great one pot veg meal. And I made this version sugar free, so it is healthier than the traditional sugar filled one!
Channa Masala (with tamarind)
- 3 tbsp oil (I use avocado oil)
- 2 dried whole red chilli
- 2 curry leaves
- 1 piece whole cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- pinch black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp tamarind
- 2 tbsp apple juice (sugar free)
- 1 tsp salt
- Start by heating your wok or pan with the oil. Add all the spices and allow to heat to release flavour, about 2-3 mins. It should get pretty fragrant
- Add the chickpeas and water and allow to come to a boil and simmer over medium low for about 15-20 mins. Check to see if the chickpeas are soft enough by squishing them with the back of a spoon. If they break apart easily, they are ready.
- Add the finishers – tamarind and apple juice and stir to combine. Give it a taste and add salt and more red chillies as desired.
- Serve warm with chopped cilantro, onions & tomatoes as shown.